Dental Crowns Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
A dental crown is a cap that dentists place on top of a tooth that is damaged to protect it from infection and decay. For some helpful information on dental crowns, keep reading below! To book an appointment at Friends Family Dental and Orthodontics, call us or simply schedule an appointment online! We serve patients from Brooklyn, NY and surrounding areas.
Table of Contents:
Various types of crowns exist. The different types of crowns vary according to the material used, how much of your teeth they cover, and how long they will be on your teeth. Some crowns are temporary while others are permanent. Temporary crowns are often provided on the day of a procedure while a permanent crown is fabricated in a dental laboratory.
Some of the different types of materials used for crowns include the following:
– Ceramic: Ceramic crowns are either all-ceramic or pressed ceramic. Pressed ceramic crowns differ from all-ceramic crowns in that they are capped with porcelain. Zirconia and porcelain are common types of ceramic material used for ceramic crowns. Ceramic crowns are an excellent choice for visible front teeth as they match the color of your natural teeth.
– Metal: Several types of metals are used for dental crowns, such as chromium, gold, nickel and palladium. The advantage of metal crowns is their durability, as they rarely break or chip. Still, their color is distinct from your natural teeth, which is often a drawback for patients. For this reason, many patients prefer porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. These crowns have a porcelain exterior with a metal lining to achieve durable function and a natural aesthetic.
– Resin: Resin crowns are the least expensive crown option and can easily match the color of your natural teeth. However, they also wear down faster than other types of crowns.
– Stainless steel: Stainless steel crowns are usually used as a temporary measure to cover and protect a tooth or filling while a permanent crown is manufactured from a different material.
Traditionally, crowns would cover the entire tooth even if only a portion of it needed protecting. Nowadays, there are other options for teeth that only need partial protection. These options include onlays and ¾ crowns. With onlays and ¾ crowns, the dentist removes the affected area of the tooth and applies the partial crown to that area. This option is available to patients whose teeth structure remains mostly intact.
The cost of a dental crown varies according to several factors. These factors include:
– The material used for the crown.
– How many teeth need crowns.
– The location of the clinic.
– Whether an onlay or full crown is needed.
As long as there is no tooth decay underneath the crown cap, you can replace a dental crown as many times as you need. Dental crowns typically last between five to 15 years on average. Thus, if you take proper care of your crown and the crown is made of quality material, you shouldn’t expect to need to replace your crown often.
That said, you may wish to replace the crown with a different material so it matches the color of your teeth. In this case, your dentist should be able to do so easily if there is no tooth decay below. If there is tooth decay, your dentist’s ability to replace the cap will depend on how big the cavity is. If the cavity is too large, you may require a different dental treatment, such as an implant.
Most crowns do not require root canals. The only time that a root canal is necessary is when the tooth is infected or significantly inflamed. With a root canal, a dentist removes the infected part of the tooth, most notably the soft center of the tooth known as the pulp. On the contrary, most root canals require crowns. The exception is root canals on the front teeth, as these can sometimes be restored with dental filling. However, root canals on molars will almost always require a crown.
Dental crowns are a great solution to various tooth problems, keeping your tooth strong and looking great. If you’re looking for a dental crowns specialist in Brooklyn, New York, we welcome you to call us or make an appointment with us at Friends Family Dental and Orthodontics! We serve patients from Brooklyn NY, Manhattan NY, Bronx NY, Hoboken NJ, West New York NJ, and surrounding areas.